Thursday, August 4, 2011

Update

As I type, a precious baby is asleep in his crib down the hall. 
He has crawled all over this house today, cruised all around our living room furniture (he's getting quite good at it), eaten some yummy baby food, had a few poopy diapers and made a trip to Wal-Mart.  Whew!
Baby M. has been with us for a week now. 
We are having the best time!

Scottie attended the first hearing this week which went well.  He was able to talk to baby M.'s mom and reassure her that he is safe and doing very well.  There was a possibility he might go with a family member next week, but that has fallen through, so he will likely be with us for a little while.  We are tickled to have him as long as we can!

God is doing some amazing things in my heart and in our family through this little guy.  We are trusting Him for what is best and praying for him and his family.  We are all growing though this experience.

I have been asked by several people lately, "How can you do it?  How can you get attached and then have to give them back?" and even, "What do you do if you get one you wanna keep and have to give it back?"  I have had to think about my answer to these questions.  Here is what I have come up with:  It's not about me.  It's not about what I selfishly want.  Becoming a foster parent is the opposite of selfish.  We are giving up time, energy, money, sleep, comfort - you name it -  for children who's parents who have made poor choices.  I am not allowed to be selfish in this whatsoever.  And that's why it's a calling.  I sensed God calling us to adoption on November 3, 2010, but had no idea at the time what that would look like.  We have such a peace that this is exactly what He wants for us to do right now.  Even though it's not easy (what about the Christian life is??  Really??), God is in control.  This is all His.  These precious children are His.  I am just being Jesus to them for a little while.  What an amazing opportunity we have!

So, there.  That's how I feel about it.  We still feel called to adoption, but know that baby M. may not be our "forever child."  If he's not we will give him back when it's time.  We pray that God gives us the grace to give him back and we know we will be sad.  But we also know that means our "forever child" is out there and we will keep loving children through Jesus until we get to him or her.

2 comments:

Karen L. said...

you guys are amazing, God is amazing. loved your post. brought grateful and happy tears to my eyes, and lots of them. so thankful that you and scottie are part of our church family. praying for you and love you all!

Cassie said... said...

I wish so much you were allowed to post pic...I can't wait to see what else God has planned for you.